A place to share my latest creative pieces. (I know a million bloggers already do this, but I NEEDED a place too!)

3.09.2012

Simple T-Shirts--Without a Machine!

The other day my oldest dropped a plain red t-shirt on my office table.  "Mom, I want you to do something with this shirt."  I chuckled inside.  I love it that my kids think that I am oh so crafty to do something with a plain t-shirt.

After some inquiring, he came up with an idea of what to do--I showed him the t-shirt vinyl that I have in my stash: yellow flocked, light blue smooth and black flocked.  When he saw the yellow, his eyes lit up, "I want a lightening bolt!"  Perfect!  (Of course, I had to make two of them...)


I told him I couldn't do anything with it right then because I'd have to either find a lightening bolt in my Cricut cartridge stack or buy one on the Silhouette store.  (I have the original Cricut and and a Silhouette SD.)  Well, I had an idea--heck, I can draw a freakin' lightening bolt!  Why spend the time searching, then getting out the proper machine when I can just draw it and be done with it?  So that's what I did!

Here's a quick picture recap of how anyone can make a t-shirt with iron-on vinyl--even if you don't own a fancy machine.  If you're good at drawing, you can make any kind of shirt!

  • First, cut out the vinyl in the approximate size you want.  (This vinyl came with my Silhouette machine, but my favorite place to buy any kind of vinyl is Expressions Vinyl because they are cheap, fast, and have great customer service!)

  • Second, draw your design.  I did it on the back (the white side, using a similar colored permanent marker, because if it's darker it will show through.  Not that I've had any experience with that.  Ahem.), but you can do it on the front (the clear side) too in any color marker. 


  • Third, cut out the design.  (Yes, simple designs are the easiest!)

  • Fourth, lay out your shirt and quickly iron it for about 30 seconds--to make it warm.

  • Fifth, lay your cut out design on your shirt, cover with a rag or scrap fabric.
 
  • Sixth, hold your iron on it for 50-60 seconds around the whole design.

  • Seventh, watch your kids race around the house as they show off their cool new shirts!


Happy Creating!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...